Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Text addict

Do you text?

I have to admit that until fairly recently I never used text messaging. I thought it was something the young people did with their iphones and their ipods and their ipants sagging down to ihere. (I have my finger on the pulse of American youth.) Then one day a friend of mine sent me text out of the blue. I struggled for ten minutes to figure out how to send one back to her. She then sent me another text teasing me for how long it took me to write back and for sending her three texts that only said "how do i".

Despite that rocky start, once I tried texting I LOVED it. I became a texting addict. Jesse changed our cell phone plan to accommodate my growing love for texting. In spite of the fact that my phone is really crappy and counter-intuitive and sometimes sends stuff to the wrong people and often sends messages for no reason when I'm trying to correct something that the weird predictive text has done I still text like a weasel on crack. And you know how they are with that stuff.

I text a lot more when I'm sick. It's a good distraction from laying around feeling like my head is stuffed with cotton. I also text a lot if I've been at home doing nothing for a few days. It's a good way to connect with people who can have a conversation without using the word "boogies" in every other sentence. Jesse.

I do sometimes worry though that I text too much. I harass my family and friends who are all out being busy with their jobs and lives and significant others just so that I can tel them things like "I'm watching Semi-Homemade. Sandra Lee is insane!" and ask them things like "Don't you think mushrooms sort of taste like butt crack?" and "Hey! Why didn't you answer my last text?"

I can't help it. I love the little thrill I get when my phone makes the you've-got-a-message noise. Sure, most the time the messages I get back say things like "The hell?" and "You need a hobby" and "Stop bothering me freak" but that doesn't get me down. I just keep on plugging away, typing like there's no tomorrow. Because if I don't fill everyone in on the minutia of my daily life, who will?

So, do you text?

13 comments:

Leslie said...

Yeah. Texting, due to my teen, is currently the bane of my existence. It's all I've blogged about of recent.

Lala said...

looove it, the man bought Blackberrys for us both at xmas and it's our preferred method of communication

Esther said...

Nope. Don't even have a cell phone. Can you believe that? I do wish for one, so I could get my Twitter updates all day long. I'm sure if I did, I would be addicted in no time.

Tricia said...

Oh yeah - my next cell phone (which I can get in April) will have a QWERTY keyboard to facilitate my texting addiction! :)

Anonymous said...

This post is a crack up! LOL! I can only say I am a text freak, for sure. It's that or actually talking to a person and I prefer the the former. You're hilarious.

Jamie said...

My preferred form of communication. I would rather text than talk on the phone.

Hiding Behind Words said...

My BlackBerry is like a 6th finger. It is almost always no more than an arm-length away. Texting is addictive. I have the BlackBerry Messenger, Yahoo, AIM, Facebook, MySpace, Google, my blog, somebody else's blog and a website to find cheap gas all on my BB. So yea, texting is addictive.

NGS said...

No, I don't. Mostly because it costs me 10 cents a text, which adds up quickly!

My texting illiteracy really came through the day that the 35W bridge fell down. As that bridge is on the way to my part-time job where I was working that evening, my husband sent me a text that night asking if I was okay. The phone lines were all busy and texting was the only way a lot of cell phones were working. Since I was, you know, working, I got really frustrated by the constant messages coming through my phone. When I figured out what was going on, it took me over 10 minutes to compose a text that simply said, "Am fine see you at9". Mispunctuated and everything.

I'm a genius.

Anonymous said...

I love texting. It's just so much easier when you have a quick question or just want to say hi. I actually switched to a QWERTY phone and don't think I'll ever go back!

You know you can text Twitter right? Share your obversations, thoughts, and random details with EVERYONE!

Tori said...

I text a lot now, but I used to hate it when I was in high school. Everyone tapping away on their friggin phones under their desks..it drove me crazy! Then my mom figured it out (we're still on a shared plan) and I actually had to give her a talking to for running up the bill an extra $100 for texting! We added unlimited texting and now I text constantly. I also love that I can get stuff like weather updates and movie times from google by text.

Ferdinand the Duck said...

Work pays for my phone and I'm allowed to use it as my personal phone as well, but I'm a little worried that since I started dating someone new in December I'm going to get something from Accounting along the lines of "um, we're not paying your $300 texting bill. Give us money plz," and then I will have to commit harakiri because I cannot afford that.
So yes, I am a texter.

Anonymous said...

So much better than talking on the phone. You can respond when you want and you can chew loudly, be on the toilet... whatever and no one news. Oh and you can do it in class and secretly at work and stuff which you cannot do with actual phone conversation...

Anonymous said...

I see no more reason to talk on the phone ever, which I hate, I wish I could get dr's and service providers to txt me.lol