Monday, March 15, 2010

Please pardon the brain stain on my pillow

Bed rest is turning my brain to mush.

When the doctor first said "Bed rest!" I thought "Ok, cool! I'll get to take it easy and have lots of naps. In between that I'll watch lots of documentaries and read lots of books and write all those witty blog posts I've been composing in my head."

That all lasted about 24 hours. By day two I had settled into a routine of watching true crime shows, Golden Girls reruns and birth shows on Discovery Health.

True, I'm very rested but every night I feel a little more of my brain leaking out onto my pillow. If this doesn't end soon I'm going to end up like ... I don't know, Rose Nylen.

Luckily there is an end in sight!

The original plan was to do a c-section (since this girl is stubbornly head-up) on March 30th, at 38 weeks. Based on a scheduling conflict and the fact that the babies are attempting to rearrange my skeleton from the inside we've decided to move the c-section up to March 23, at 37 weeks.

I can't say I'm exactly thrilled at the prospect of a c-section I do look forward to the day that I can breath without feeling like I have a boulder on my chest or walk without feeling like I have a boulder between my knees or think without feeling like I have a boulder between my ears.

There's a lot about pregnancy that I really enjoy and carrying twins has been an adventure that in some ways I'll be sad to see end. But yeah, I'm about ready to be done. I'm excited to get my body and my brain back. I will miss all the Golden Girls reruns though.

One year ago Joseph knew me really well.
Two years ago today everyone misunderstood me.
Three years ago today I looked on the bright side.

7 comments:

Shannon said...

So excited to hear about those babies! Yay! Best of luck! The one really fantastic thing about a planned c-section is you know exactly when it's going to happen. It's really nice to have everything ready and be able to plan. Well at least for uptight people such as myself. :)

Lindsay said...

The babies are eating your brain! Seriously. Pregnancy is hard. And I want to say, WOW! March 23! that's not too long! But really, when you've got full grown human(s) inside your tum, it's a really, really, long time. Hang in there.

Also, I LOVE the Golden Girls!

Stimey said...

You're so close! How exciting!

The weekend I spent in bed with no responsibilities after I got a wisdom tooth taken out is, to this day, one of the best weekends of my life. I guess it's less fun if you're super pregnant and it lasts for many days.

Hang in there!

Suzy Voices said...

March 23rd! WOW I can't believe it's gone by so fast!!!

Sarah said...

When I was out of work, I lived on a diet of Ellen, and Discovery Baby Shows. It took great will to not DVR "Bringing Home Baby" when I had to, you know clean my house, care for my own children, go on an interview.

Oh, and A&E reruns of "Judging Amy", so addictive.

I wish you happy birth and good recovery!

Emily said...

You're gonna give birth to two babies. =] Well, that was my tearjerker #4 for the day.

Sam said...

My next door neighbor would be so jealous as she is carrying surrogate twins but they are not due until the middle of May. She's SO DONE, poor girl.