Thursday, May 13, 2010

The one where I ramble on about nothing in particular

We're planning a trip to New York.  Have I mentioned that?  What's that?  Only about 18 dozen times?  Sorry about that.  It's kind of what's on my mind these days.  Jesse has developed a fear of terrorists and his main contribution to trip planning is to get a slight frown whenever I mention Times Square.  Between that and my general fear of um, travel and New York and things I've never done before, this whole planning business is just SO MUCH FUN!

When I first started planning this trip I had the attitude of "Who cares how much stuff costs?  We're going to do everything we want and do it the right way and not pay any attention to the price because after all, this might be our only time in New York! Tra-la-la!"

Now it's morphed more into something like "Tra-la-holy crap!  That costs how much?  For all four of us?  FOR ONE OF US?"

I've come to the conclusion that we can afford either food or shelter while we're in New York.  We'll have to skip entertainment all together.  The only exception will be on Joseph's birthday.  He's hoping to spend that day at the Natural History Museum.  We'll just have to buy one ticket and send him in on his own.  Maybe every so often he can come back out and tell us about what he's seen.  Of course, then we run the risk of him never coming back out but then at least we would have one less person to feed for the rest of the trip.  If I can think of a way to lose Elle too Jesse and I might be able to afford a nice dinner at McDonalds one night.

Speaking of things that are totally unrelated, I have made progress in my quest to eventually be involved in the birth, raising and feeding of every child on the planet.  The twins have moved on to formula but I'm still pumping.  (It allows me to lose weight while eating nothing but various dark chocolate coated foods from Trader Joes.)  This past Monday I was able to give 450+ ounces of frozen breast milk to a friend of mine who had a baby just a few weeks after me.  She has not had a lot of luck with nursing so she was so glad to get it.  I was glad to have room in my freezer for ice cream again.

In other news, I had a really nice Mother's Day.  Jesse made up for not buying me a birthday present by going way overboard on the Mother's Day gifts.  Thanks to my new nook and my new ipod I'll now be able to carry my entire music and book collection with me wherever I go.  That is, of course, until I make a total me move and lose them both in a gas station bathroom.

But Mother's Day isn't just about the presents.  Mostly, but not only.  The rest of the day was good too.  The kids were sweet and well-behaved.  Without any prompting at all Joseph gave me several hugs and told me how much he loves me.  That kind of spontaneous physical affection is unusual for him so that was nice.

One of the best parts of the day was getting calls from both pf my pairs of former IFs wishing me a happy Mother's Day.  I know I'm not their baby's mama but it's still nice to be thought of on Mother's Day.  Especially since I am neurotic and I ave this fear that now that they've got their babies they're just waiting for me to lose their phone numbers.  Insecurity, it's what's for dinner.  So getting those phone calls was extra nice and after both of them I did a happy cry.  Which looks a lot like my sad cry in that they are both ugly cries.  I didn't even care that my face looked like a stewed tomato, I was just very happy to get those calls.

I have no good way to end this post and I'm too lazy to come up with one so instead I'll post this cute picture of a baby hand.

One year ago today I shared too much information about body hair.
Three years ago today Joseph wrote the sweetest essay ever.


2 comments:

jwg said...

theskint.com is a web site that posts info about free and inexpensive activities in NYC every day. Worth checking.

Ben said...

Hey, that's the same tiger as that picture from Elle's class.